Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Abortion doctor escapes criminal indictment

HT to Marti

Posted: August 1, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

A grand jury has failed to return a criminal indictment against Wichita, Kan., abortion provider George Tiller over the death of a 19-year-old Texas woman who had a third-trimester abortion, and
Operation Rescue officials blame it on money and politics.

"It was a long shot first because we're attempting to prosecute him in the county where he resides [and] he's effectively bought off – and I use that word intentionally – District Attorney Foulston," Troy Newman, president of the Christian pro-life activist organization, told WorldNetDaily shortly after the announcement.

That would be Nola Tedesco Foulston, the prosecutor for the 18th Judicial District in Kansas. She announced the grand jury impaneled to investigate the death of Christin A. Gilbert, 19, on Jan. 13, 2005, had concluded its investigation without any indictments.

"The grand jury, which was convened in response to a citizen initiated petition drive, commenced its investigation on May 22," she said in her official statement. "The grand jury performed its obligation in requesting and reviewing relevant evidence and law in the matter and has been discharged by Judge Richard Ballinger upon completion of its duty."

"We believe the lack of indictment by the grand jury is the result of corruption and cronyism at the local and state level," Newman said. "Nola Foulston is a personal friend of Tiller's and should never have been involved in the investigation in any way."

He also said the Kansas Board of Healing Arts, which earlier dismissed complaints against Tiller in the woman's death, "is beholden to Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, who is in Tiller's pocket due to massive campaign contributions."

Newman said the hope was that a grand jury would have been independent enough to return a charge, but then noted that it would have been Foulston who presented the case and the law to the jurors.

"We're obviously disappointed," he said. "We're not discouraged."

The objective fact is, he said, the woman died of complications from an abortion and he believes a cover-up was begun immediately. Newman said even the 9-1-1 call seeking an ambulance for the stricken woman included a plea from clinic workers for "No lights, no siren."

He also said the woman had been diagnosed with dehydration, when in fact she was suffering from a massive sepsis infection.

Tiller's clinic in Wichita is the largest in the world for abortions in the second and third trimesters, Newman said. "People fly in even from Europe, because most places, countries, won't allow [such late abortions]," he said.

The story of the death of Gilbert, a Down Syndrome teen, prompted the launch recently of a website, JusticeforChristin.com, a site that also was used to publicize the effort to call for the grand jury investigation.

Operation Rescue also documented other experiences from woman who had gone through the abortion clinic. "I was in excruciating pain and I was vomiting from the pills," a woman identified as "Janice" reported. "Tina" said her experience at the clinic "was physically the closest thing to hell on earth I have every experienced."

This, however, has been Operation Rescue's only significant defeat in recent months. Just a few weeks ago, it announced the purchase of a building housing another Wichita abortion clinic, which was shut down because of the purchase.

The organization bought the building that housed the former Central Women's Services clinic, and opened its doors for media tours. The clinic, which had been open since 1983 under various names, apparently was used for about 50,000 abortions.

Included in the tour was the sink next to the abortion rooms that featured an industrial garbage disposal where abortion machines were rinsed. Onetime insiders in the abortion industry also noted that it once was common for the aborted babies to be run through disposals.

Newman said when his group took over the facility, the carpets were blood-stained and the sink around the disposal had evidence of dried blood.

"The entire area had the stench of death," he said.

At that time, Tiller apparently bought the assets of the closed clinic and absorbed them into his own practice.

No comments: