Thursday, August 17, 2006

Letter to the Editor

HT to Marti

Posted on: Thursday, August 17, 2006
Honolulu Advertiser
Letters to the Editor

ELECTION 2006
VOTING A RESPONSIBILITY TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY


As Election Day 2006 approaches, I hope people are taking seriously the responsibility that comes with voting.

As a 16-year-old, I cannot yet vote, but wait eagerly for the day I turn 18 and can.
However, I am old enough to know a problem when I see one. As a 16-year-old in the state of Hawai'i, it troubles me when I walk into Longs Drug Store to buy cough syrup but can't. Why? Because you have to be 18 to do that!

What about when I go to Blockbuster to rent an "R"-rated movie? Nope, can't do that either.
However, I am able to get an abortion or emergency contraception without parental consent.
I am not debating whether it is right or wrong, but am I the only person in this state who finds it troubling that I can get an abortion but I can't buy cough medicine?

I hope people will take time to really think about what voting means to them. Don't follow the crowd. Vote for whomever you feel will get done what needs to be done.

Brittany Olson
Mililani







No comments: