Dear Pro-Life Advocates,
Healthcare provider Rights of Conscience are going, going, and could be gone. Our presidential administration intends to rescind the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regulations we fought so hard for last fall and for the first time put teeth into Right of Conscience laws. Right of Conscience is guaranteed in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof), however, the present laws are being ignored since there is no provision to enforce them.
Pro-abortion groups are attempting to force healthcare professionals to participate in activities to which they are morally opposed or leave medicine altogether. These regulations are needed more than ever. I ask you to speak out now before it is too late!
You have until April 9 to make public comments to HHS and encourage others to do so, including doctors, nurses, pharmacists, medical office staff, and patients. No time to write a letter or not sure what to say? Good news, we make it easy for you to speak out! Read on.
The Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA) has organized the Freedom2Care coalition, to fight for the rights of healthcare providers not participate in abortions or other activities that violate their consciences. Coalition members include the Family Research Council, Concerned Women of America, the Catholic Church, Alliance Defense Fund, National Right to Life, The Christian Legal Society and others are joining daily.
Freedom2Care is working to protect the new federal HHS “provider conscience” regulation; to educate and persuade the public, policy makers and the medical community regarding conscience rights; and to expose and undermine the abortion-mandate ideology of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Planned Parenthood and other abortion lobbyists as unethical and detrimental to patients.
Here is what you need to do:
1. Go to www.freedom2care.org now.
2. Send a comment to HHS by clicking the "Healthcare professionals" or "Patients" link at the top as it applies to you. You can send a form letter or write one.
3. Learn more about the issue at this site. Find resources to equip you to educate others.
4. Also sign the petition on the site that will be forwarded to Congress and the White House.
5. If you have one, tell your own story of discrimination or being pressured to violate your conscience. Stories are worth their weight in gold! If you have been discriminated against or pressured to violate your conscience please tell CMDA by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. CMDA is putting together audio and video resources to tell your stories. Stories are a dramatic tool that demonstrates the need for these regulations.
This is more than the issue of abortion. Should we force pacifists to kill or doctors to participate in executions? What about forcing them to participate in physician-assisted suicide where it is legalized? There is much more information on Freedom2care.org. Act now, don't delay.
Karen DiCostanzo, President
Hawaii Right to Life