Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"I felt I had no other choice"

Helene's story

I grew up in a church-going family, but not a Christ-centered home. I was a good kid. ... I had my days when I was very ornery, and I liked to see how far I could push the limits, but when it came down to the line, “no” meant no, and I listened.

I had only dated very briefly in high school; they were very good innocent experiences. I believe it was because I had a wonderful Sunday School teacher. She talked with us about the blessings of how God intended sex for marriage and the joy of waiting for marriage. Her words penetrated my heart and I knew it was the right thing to do. Overall I breezed through high school, was accepted into a college and was very excited about my future.

My sexual assault was what has been titled date or acquaintance rape. My freshman year of college I was dating a young man who I had met that previous summer. We had talked about what we believed in and he knew my convictions about saving sex for my husband. Yet after a few months of dating he became impatient with waiting and forced himself on me against my protest. After the assault I blamed myself for letting it happen; I felt it was my fault and that I could have somehow avoided it. I did not realize until much later that it was a rape. I was scared of him; therefore, I did not tell anyone what had happened. Read more

Need Help?
  • If you are pregnant and need help, call 1-800-395-HELP or visit http://www.optionline.org/.
  • For information on finding help and healing after abortion, click here.

No comments: