Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We’re Fighting For Our Right To Live, To Exist

by Danny de Gracia, II

Danny de Gracia, II is a political scientist, an economic advisor and a candidate for Waipahu Neighborhood Board endorsed by Hawaii Right to Life PAC.

When I was growing up, my dad had a grapefruit orchard that one year produced a crop of bizarrely shaped, grotesquely deformed fruit. After he had harvested all of the grapefruits, my mom walked past the piles of fruit and rendered her judgment: “Throw those ugly things away! Get rid of all of them!”

What my father said in reply is something I will never forget: “They’re okay. They’re still good. I’m not going to throw them away.”

You see, even though outwardly the fruits were unpleasing to the eye, my father had gone through the trouble of planting the trees, watering them and tending to them, so as far as he was concerned, what those plants produced could do no wrong in the eyes of his heart. In much the same way we often find policymakers engaged in utilitarian discussions about “when does life begin?” and “what is the social impact if a person is born?” but such arguments disregard the fact that all life is a creation of God and every life not lived is a waste of creation.

One of the reasons that as a candidate I made pursuing endorsement from Hawaii Right to Life my first priority above all other organizations is because I believe that government exists for no other purpose except to ensure the right to live and exist without fear of destruction. While there are many who insist that spiritual concepts have no place in 21st century American government or in the heart of elected officials, I unapologetically find the words of Isaiah 65:8 impossible to forget: “as the new wine is found in the cluster and one says, ‘Do not destroy it, for a blessing is in it,’ so I will do for my servant’s sake”. How many lost opportunities and discarded blessings have we as a state and a nation thrown away because we didn’t understand or appreciate the forms they came in?

I am deeply grieved and immensely frustrated over how our government has made domestication and programmed eradication of the human spirit its policy. Today, there is almost no incentive to live or be born in this world because all we face are sorrows, pressures, rejections and meaningless deaths. This is not the country that I was born in and this is certainly not the world I want to die in. I seek to change this from the bottom up, starting now. As Robert Gould Shaw is attributed to have said, “We fight for men and women whose poetry is not yet written, but which will presently be as enviable and as renowned as any.” I call upon all of you to encourage yourself to support Hawaii Right To Life and all of its endorsed candidates, to cherish every blessing – seen and unseen – and to never throw away what has been given to us at great cost.

May God bless all of you and may He lead and guide the State of Hawaii to liberty!

Editorial posted by Hawaii Right to Life PAC.

No comments: